Friday, September 24, 2021

Marvel's What if...?

Cap's been on a diet

What if they had endings?

No, seriously, what if?

In terms of visuals, the show's gobsmacking! Drop dead gorgeous. Looks like they animated art deco posters from the 1920's. I gather it's all done with filters over 3D models, but DAMN. Super impressive filters.

The only thing that gives me pause visually is the lip syncing. It just feels off, like I'm watching Ashley Simpson. Mouth and sound don't match. The 3-D model mouths don't seem to form the proper shapes.  

All the more irksome when so much else is so breathtaking visually!

The action sequences are impeccably staged... and yet, I find the show oddly lacking in tension. The action is feels perfunctory, something you expect, like fries and a drink. 


Captain Peggy Carter and Star Lord Panther

Maybe I'm just jaded after so much super hero spectacle. 

The stories aren't grabbing me.

For a What if show, I'd expect mind blowing concepts, like Wandavision and Loki had. Again, I'm probably just jaded and need to go on a diet of independent art films made on a laundry change budget. 

Peggy's ending was okay; having her pop up 70 years later echoes popsicle Roger's return. But it didn't have emotional impact. The zombie one just petered out into nihilism. 

Dr. Strange's outing was dark, had the strongest finish, and the most emotional heft of the entire series, however awful. 

And there's the rub: all the other episodes have felt like fluff, with lacklustre endings and bland humour. 

A series without teeth. 

Of course, humour is like the very essence of subjectivity, so what do I know?

Maybe they need to do the basic scenarios before they really go full Twilight Zone and really start playing around. 

Visually, I love it. A full feature with this look would be amazing. The Rocketeer would rock the look. So would Superman or Wonder Woman. 

Whoops, wrong franchise!

I think I need to take a break from Marvel for a bit...



No comments:

Post a Comment