Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Midjourney v6

Once more into the AI, breech, dear friends!

I stopped using Midjourney with v4, when the generative AI platform began to look commercially viable. 

Most of the images I rendered back in 2022 needed to be fixed up, edited by hand in ProCreate to remove glitches, fix hands, and other The Thing style horrors. 

The fixes were relatively minor, overall. But they needed the finishing touches. 

Now? 

Midjourney v6, from what I've seen, have solved glitches and hands. The software has vastly improved, and at an incredible pace. 

I've seen illustrations in online magazines rendered by AI. They're all over stock sites, even though they aren't supposed to be (or so I'd been led to understand... how do you sell something that can be shared freely?). 

The strange artificial 'plastic' feel is still there, although less extreme. Creative prompt crafting can diminish it further. 

I still have quite a stack of imagery rendered back in 2022, and I've fixed up a number in ProCreate. They look pretty cool. 

But I don't think I'll be posting any more (not that anyone is looking anyway). 

The impact of these AI renderers (and AI writers) is increasing. How the law will eventually deal with them, I have no idea. If they keep improving, companies focused on the bottom line will use them more and more. That will impact all the creative arts: why get into a field where you can be replaced by the click of a button?

Generative AI is amazing in so many ways, and it's a ton of fun to play around with. I can see why some people have become practically addicted to it. But the potential human cost, to arts and culture, is incalculable.




No comments:

Post a Comment