Sunday, October 23, 2022

The giant crab creature: before and after editing

The original prompt result

I thought it might be interesting to post a few before / after images, starting with early images from Midjourney. 

The image above was created with a fairly simple prompt (whatever the prompt was is now lost to the mists of time), and came back with 4 fabulous options. This was my favourite. As you can see, however, there are gaps in the rendering: there is obviously meant to be a person in front of the giant crab, but they are only partly there.

It's maybe 95% there right out of the bot.

This one was an easy fix, especially if the person is wearing a cape. I doodled a rectangle in using ProCreate, then cleaned things up a little bit, removing a few stray lines (obviously could have gone further), and adding tiny flags (for everyone, as Kodos would say) to the suggestion of a horde in the distance.

The (slightly) polished version

So with a little extra effort, the rendering can be polished up and the piece made even more compelling. 

It would take me... weeks? Months? Years?... to render the base image on my own, if I ever could. 

Gigantic cybernetic crabs leading armies of pirates... that's the sort of totally bonkers stuff I wanted to inhabit the world of Magnum Thrax and the Amusement Park of Doom.

With Midjourney, I can at last breathe some life into that vision. 

And have a lot of fun doing it!

I highly recommend playing around with the tool to any world building writer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment